So Long I-91 FM; KVTI Tacoma Suffers Stroke

Total disaster that may have been announced back in April but is still completely tragic. KVTI has switched from Contemporary Top 40 to Classical. Now the snob in me would say this is a good thing but I am extremely sad. What contemporary stations do I have left on the FM dial? 106.1? 93.33? These over commercialized stations are horrible!

I liked KVTI because it played everything contemporary. Not just urban. Not just Pop or Rock. I will miss this staple on my dial. It will be sorely missed. KVTI suffered a stroke and is rehabilitated as a geriatric patient.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to So Long I-91 FM; KVTI Tacoma Suffers Stroke

1. Nathan says:

Sorry for your loss.

I recommend giving up on radio entirely, I did so many years ago and it has been very enjoyable.

Aside from being heavily laden in commercials, I find myself irritated at what extreme censorship has brought us to on the airwaves. In addition to the legendary “seven words” many radio edits are now cutting out any mention of drugs, sex, alcohol and violence, to whatever degree. The other day I heard a song which had the word “slap” edited out and another had the word “dealer” removed. This was on a “rock” station too, not some easy listening or family based radio station.

I’ve moved on to venues which are slightly less convenience, but are free of excessive advertising and censorship.

As a side note, I must object to the notion that appreciating a classical station would make you a snob. Though I do fear that they’ll probably be editing out portions of classical music which is too sudden or loud soon, since some people might be offended or startled by that.

2. Crystal says:

Oh no!! A death in the family! I feel that we should observe an appropriate time of mourning. I know that you have a near and dear relationship with your favorite stations, although most of those aren’t on the radio. I believe that you digitally stream most of your music, right? So I guess you still have NPR to listen to on the ol’ dial! Long live NPR which, as we all know, talks about all kinds of things that other stations might censor. Even when they are being said within the context of a song. Long live censorship, right? On another note – did you hear that the Senate wants to give the President the power to shut down portions of the internet for “security” reasons? Oops…I probably just got your blog tagged by the NSA. ;-)

3. Michael says:

Thanks for the replies.

@Nate: One thing that made the previous KVTI awesome was the sparseness of its commercials. It was operated by Clover Park Tech and so apart with the occasional news or one offs, it was music all the time. I like radio (and streaming radio) because it connects me to newer music. KVTI wasn’t as targeted as the other stations I mentioned. But all that is in the past.

I actually don’t mind a certain level of censorship. This conflicts with my my generally Libertarian outlooks but with how often I hear and see garbage like sex, drugs, and obscenity it is refreshing to have a cleaner source of music.

Anyway, radio is a part of my listening just as streaming radio is, CDs, podcasts, mp3s; it is all a nice pool to draw from.

@Crystal: You know, I’ve kind of stopped listening to NPR. It was actually depressing me. It seemed to be fairly unbiased but I question especially since they on several occasions don’t report things or subtly indicate slant by leaving out facts.

Like I mentioned to Nate, I listen to many mediums and especially at work a lot of streaming radio so no worries, plenty of music for me! Incidentally, I think the most major impact was during my driving.

Yep, giving Presidents “emergency powers” for anything is like saying let’s make him a dictator but only for a little while. It is the price of living in a republic. It is why these forms of government are slower to react to things. When things get tough they take longer to resolve but the solution is generally better.

How, might I ask you, would shutting off the Internet be used? I mean, after all, it is just information right? What, some super worm comes out that takes over nukes and kills everyone at the whim of a madman? Too late. No, this comes from a need to control the flow of information so if we all decide to retaliate against this corrupt and hideous shadow of our once former republic then they can effectively slow or stop it. After all, there is a reason the founders warned us and indicated that it is only valid until we decide it isn’t.

4. Nathan says:

A lack of commercials would be fantastic. Most of the modern stations seem to play a commercial every two songs.

I can’t say I agree about censorship being tolerable. I agree that it is tiresome to hear about drugs, sex and general obscenity, but I believe that responsibility is on the individual to control their intake.

At that, I believe that certain radio stations should cater to listener tastes in their target audience and censor appropriately, but I am completely opposed to the existence of a government agency which controls that on any level. In that capacity, there should also be stations which cater to people who want to hear everything uncensored.

The more that a society can adapt policies which interfere with personal preference as much as possible, the longer we will last and the more maturity we will demand from each citizen. I can guarantee that if censorship was not so extreme, there would be no stigma around most of the language which we censor and it would be much less popular. Alas, our society would rather choose the the path which takes away personal responsibility, at the offhand chance that someone might choose to say something unpleasant.

5. John says:

We miss it too. So a couple of us who used to work for the fm i91 (all staff were terminated in addition to ending the students) have put the music format on the web ourselves at http://www.i91now.com.

6. Rhonda says:

It sucks! I loved it for non- commercial and all the ‘new’- ‘unusual’ – ‘odd’ artist that I would hear first or only on this station! I also enjoyed all the in training DJ’s…. the good and the bad. Poooooor decision as far as I’m concerned. They lost me as a listner.

7. Steve says:

Sad to know it’s gone. I worked on the air from ’90 to ’98. Too bad had a lot of great times there. Good bye mighty I.