Crystal and I have not experienced a Christmas as lavish as this years since before High School. It was fun to let loose and get a couple extra things. There is one thing, however, that was utterly disappointing and that is the Zune.
Now the reason for wanting Zune is a couple things. I didn’t want to be another iMonkey and wanted something that was different from the rest of the crowd. Next, I love the Zune marketplace in that I can “rent” all the music I could possibly imagine for a mere $14.99 a month. Of course, it doesn’t offer videos like iTunes does but I was willing to overlook that for now. The 3 inch screen would be beautiful when that feature finally gets added to the Zune.
Christmas Day I open a black Zune. I tried to load it on my computer but for some reason the Zune software would not recognize the Zune itself. Weird, my sister-in-law had just got an iPod and she was up and running downloading music to her device in a matter of minutes. I was annoyed but I let it go. I figured that as with most MS products Zune would require some coaxing.
The next day I tried everything. I went to the website and followed numerous suggestions. I restarted, uninstalled, reinstalled, updated drivers, and finally I even reinstalled Windows XP itself. Wow, this was ridiculous. How come the two machines in my home were unable to allow the device to work? Incidentally, we took my Zune over to my father-in-law’s house and it worked fine. His computer is a Dell.
On the third day I Call the Zune support staff. By this time I had executed curious commands on the command line, renamed cryptography databases, updated drivers, and tweaked registry settings. After hearing my ordeal they told me to return my Zune and to try something else. So I did and it’s been the best thing ever. I have joined the ranks of iMonkies. I am glad of it.
I have no facts to prove this point and only circumstantial evidence. The fact that my two systems at home are AMD/Asus home-built combos makes me suspicious that MS is pushing a lot of hardware enabled DRM. Another possibility is that the software is picky about the USB version. That is a guess but it made for a terrible ordeal which has proved to me that sometimes going with a market proven product is safer than wasting hours trying to fix something.